Innalillah. We have just lost a dear, dear friend. Capt Yusof Ahmad, who ran the blog The Ancient Mariner, passed away last night. He was 64.
I last met him late last Tuesday morning in Ampangan, Seremban, the day his 84-year old mom died. Ordinarily, we would have been in Kelana Jaya for the bloggers' weekly MRT (mi rebus Tuesday). Capt told us that he was obviously not going to make it for last Tuesday's session. We spoke about what he was to do with the now-empty house in Ampangan, Seremban where his 84-year old mother had spent her last days. His eldest son is to get married in November and Capt Yusof said he hoped to see his blogger friends at his son's wedding. It's true what they said, we mere mortals could only plan.
Captain left a wife and four kids, and fond memories of a brief but true friendship formed in blogosphere and spilled over into real life.
Other blog tributes:
1. Amir Hafizi's The Last Voyage
2. Alfatihah to Capt Yusof by A Voice
3. Alfatihah: Capt Yusof @ The Ancient Mariner by Elviza
4. Pasquale's May you rest in Peace!
5. Al-fatihah, Capt Yusof Ahmad by Syed Akbar Ali
6. Ancient Mariner has passed on by Haris Ibrahim
7. Alfatiha: The Ancient Mariner, by Tok Mommy
8. Ahmad A Talib's Alfatihah untuk Ancient Mariner
9. Goodbye Captain by Euphoria in Misery
10. Goodbye, Bang Captain by Mat Salo
11. Kerp's So Long, Good 'Ol Captain
12. Al-fatehah buat Kapt Yusof Ahmad oleh Ron
13. Bon Voyage, Dear Captain by Nuraina A. Samad
14. Farewell Capt. Yusof, by Anak Si Hamid
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.
This be the verse you grave for me:
'Here he lies where he longed to be;
Home is the sailor, home from sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.'
Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)
See you tomorrow. God be willing.