While our buses continue to crash, Supremme Systems Sdn Bhd has filed suits against the Government for some RM50 million for scrapping e-Kesihatan, a plan that might have helped avert deadly accidents like this one that killed 9 and injured 19 in Johor last week.
The scheme's concessionaire is also suing Transport Minister and MCA No 1 Ong Tee Keat for a total of more than RM100 million for defamation.
The Government had awarded Supremme the contract to run medical check-ups on commercial vehicle drivers but scrapped the deal recently without the company being compensated. The suit against the Government is to recover the company's investments and loss of potential income, said sources.
The company is suing Ong Tee Keat for his statements in the Press suggesting that the Cabinet had agreed to discontinue the agreement as there was monopoly involved. He also said that "e-Kesihatan didapati banyak menimbulkan masalah selain disyaki terdedah dengan penyelewengan dan unsur rasuah".
Supremme directors Kamaludin Yusoff and Nordin Yahaya wrote to Finance Minister and DPM Najib Razak twice to explain their actions. The second letter dated Dec 2, 2008 informed Najib of the defamation suit against the Transport Minister.
What the directors didn't tell Najib is that the company plans this week to sue Ong Tee Keat in his personal capacity as well.
The e-Kesihatan idea was hatched at a time when the Government was deeply concerned with the alarmingly high number of road crashes involving lorries and buses. The scheme makes it compulsory for all commercial vehicle drivers to undergo annual medical check-ups. This was supposed to have started in October last year.
p.s. Visit the blog Bus Crash No More to sign an on-line petition and for info on major bus crashes in Malaysia in recent times.
Monday, December 15, 2008
Mega suit against Govt, Ong Tee Keat
At 6:16 pm