And it's NOT going to cost RM36 million. I would like to credit the parties implicated in my posting Curi-Curi Malaysia, the most expensive website in the world for getting in touch with me. On condition of anonymity (for now, at least), they have offered to clarify the points raised in my posting with regards to their proposed Tourism Malaysia TV.
I have decided to reproduce the "clarification" in toto. I know some friends in the mainstream media are following up on the story. They will get more info, including who are behind this not-RM36m proposal.
9 Sept 2008, via e-mail
Dear Rocky's Bru,
The proposal that was approved by the cabinet is NOT a website. It is a webTV channel (Geo-Targeted Interactive TV) that streams on-demand and LIVE videos to a customized CDN (Content Delivery Network) that will be set up strategically in 6 places around the world. The videos will also be streamed over the 3G network for billions of mobile users around the globe.
Malaysia has not really got into the REAL online video industry yet. Don’t be mistaken by comparing the TMtv to the Bernama webTV, or the Edge’s video site or the Singapore strait time’s razor TV. None of these sites those are available in the south east region works well even as near as Dubai let alone the whole world.
If you look at the breakdown below, there will be a “more than 300 professional documentary produced” part. If 1 documentary cost 100k (which is very affordable for a professional documentary) then, 300 documentary cost 30 Million.
As a technical person, the most difficult thing in an online video project is the distribution of content. We have managed to come up with a way to distribute both the LIVE and On-Demand elements to any net connected device possible. The intelligent thing about the TMtv is the fact that the contents are targeted to countries. An Arabian tourist will see a different version of the TMtv contents in his own language than a Japanese tourist without needing to click anything. The videos will also be really fast to load as they are cached from the main origin server to all of the Edge servers around the world.
Please take your time to read these points below. We are creating a customized CDN worldwide so to not rely on the local infrastructure. Most American Online video portals have spent 100s of millions of dollars to build their site. Hulu has got a 100 Million USD round of funding from NBC and other guys so that they can set up a online video site. The TMtv is a lot more than what Hulu is all about . The TMtv is a bargain but the price that we are quoting the other countries for this technology is far more than this.
Email or call us anytime if you need further clarification.
- GSR (Geo server redirection): contents are distributed around the globe with the help of multiple streaming servers placed strategically around the world to provide fast access to the relevant video contents globally. In each location, there will be 1 edge server, 1 mobile devices server, 1 redundant/backup server. This technology is absolutely needed so that the videos could be distributed effectively around the globe.
- LIVE element (24/7 Mirror to the world)
- High Resolution Cameras placed strategically in 6 beautiful locations to serve a video wallpaper of enchanting scenery. This can be watched globally 24/7 LIVE and installed on your computer’s desktop (Widget). Watch the sunset at Langkawi from anywhere around the world. These cameras are monitored centrally with a small delay for screening purposes.
- LIVE Element (15 Major Events)
- Watch events as it happens. Professional camera crew on location that serves event as it happens through multiple cameras that are edited in real time. Watch Merdeka celebrations, fireworks festival, rainforest music festival, etc. All these events will be produced as highlights and can be viewed on-demand after the events are over.
- LIVE Element (Malaysian Lifestyle)
- A small MOBILE production crew that goes around Malaysia to show LIVE non critical events such as turtle hatching, tourists’ interviews and critical events such as ad-hoc address by the Minister to tourists and would be tourists.
- Professional production to produce more than 300 broadcast quality DOCUMENTARY that are produced in multiple languages (travelogue, getting here and there, cultural documentation, heritage documentation, reality series, local news, etc. )
- Geo-Locater: the TMtv knows which state of which country the viewes are from and it can target relevant content to them and direct them to their local travel agent.
- Mobile TV: you could also watch all the TMtv travel contents on your mobile phone. There are 3.5 billion mobile users in the world and TMtv can be streamed over 3G or Wifi.
- Mobile travel guide: interactive software that enables users to carry them around when they are in Malaysia to find tourist spots, maps and other interactive travel information.
- Platform and network independent: TMtv can be watched by any computer on any platform and any browser.
- No firewall/proxy block: firewalls normally block streaming usually in a multinational organization’s LAN network but the TMtv has propriety software installed to get past this roadblock.
- No plugins required: everyone can access the TMtv. If you can watch youtube which gets billions of views per month, you can watch the TMtv
- On-Demand capability: ability to search for relevant travel videos. Watch what you want when you want.
- Viral video
- All the TMtv videos can be embedded onto blogs, social networking sites, etc. Travel agents can use this service to embed videos on Malaysia in their own website by following a simple procedure.
- Videos will be spread virally by embedding and sharing it with friends and families
Tuesday, September 09, 2008
It's TMtv, not Curi-Curi Malaysia
At 6:19 pm