A lot of people stand to lose
Puchong, 18 Oct: Muhyiddin Yassin will probably be the biggest loser. If Umno leaves the PN coalition, his government will fall and he will lose his majority in Parliament, which means he will be forced to quit and someone else who has the majority support of MPs will replace him as Prime Minister. Which explains talk of a hurried, even panicky, Cabinet reshuffle tomorrow.
|Abah, Atok: Both may end up losing|
Umno stands to lose, too, of course, because leaving PN means it won't be in government anymore. If Anwar Ibrahim becomes PM, then those in Umno who have signed the Statutory Declaration supporting him may be part of a new government. But Anwar will not be PM if Mahathir and Ku Li can help it. Or if it turns out that Anwar doesn't have the numbers he claims to have.
Some in Umno will lose considerably more than others. These are Umno leaders who have been given important or cushy positions by Muhyiddin when he came into power in March. The ministers, deputy ministers, and those Muhyiddin has appointed as GLC chiefs. Every word they utter, in private or to the media - whether they support the party unconditionally or if they are with the party only if there's no Anwar or DAP - is being closely watched.
So some of the biggest losers in Umno if Umno pulls out are:
1. The nine Umno MINISTERS who are in Muhyiddin's Cabinet.
|Ismail Sabri Yaakob, Senior Minister/Security|
|Annuar Musa, Federal Territories|
|Dr Adham Baba, Health|
|Hishammuddin Hussein, Foreign|
|Noraini Ahmad, Higher Education|
|Khairy Jamaluddin, Science, Tech & Innovation|
|Dr Shamsul Anuar Basarah, Energy & Natural Resources|
|Halimah Sadique, National Unity|
|Reezal Merican, Youth & Sports|
2. Deputy Speaker of Dewan Rakyat Dato’ Sri Azalina Othman Said
3. The 8 Deputy Ministers
Mastura Tan Sri Mohd Yazid (PM’s Department)
Mohd Shahar Abdullah ( Finance)
Ismail Mohd Said (Home Affairs)
Dr Masrizal Muhammad (Environment and Water)
Ahmad Hamzah (Agriculture and Food Industries)
Dr Ismail Haji Mutalib (Housing and Local Govt)
Abdul Rahman Mohamad (Rural Development)
Zahidi Zainul Abidin (Communication and Multimedia)
4. The Political Secretaries to the 9 Ministers
1. Syed Mohd Fazmi Sayid Mohammad (Defence/Senior Minister) 2. Abd Halim Abd Jalil (Foreign) 3. Budiman Mohd Zuhdi (FT) 4. Azizan Md. Zain (Energy & Natural Resources) 5. Maizatul Akmam Alawi @ Ad. Badawi (Higher Education) 6. Ahmad Darus (Youth & Sports) 7. Megat Firdouz Megat Junid (Science, Technology & Innovation) 8. Haliza Abdullah (National Unity) 9. Shamsul Najmi Shamsuddin (Health)
5. Umno MPs appointed as GLC Chairman
1. Jalaludin Alias (Jelebu) UDA Holdings Bhd 2. Hasbullah Osman (Gerik) Syarikat Perumahan Negara Bhd 3. Ramli Mohd Nor (Cameron Highlands) Amanah Raya Bhd 4. Mahdzir Khalid (Padang Terap) Tenaga Nasional Bhd 5. Tajuddin Abd Rahman (Pasir Salak) Prasarana Bhd
6. Mohd Salim Mohd Sharif (Jempol) Risda 7. Ahmad Jazlan Yaakub (Machang) MPOB 8. Ahmad Nazlan Idris (Jerantut) Malaysia Rubber Board 9. Mohamad Alamin (Kimanis) MyIPO 10. Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh (Besut) Felda