"We followed procedure". We've read the tragic story of the poor in the papers: factory worker Kasmuri Jasman, his wife and three kids aged between 8 and 13 died in a pre-dawn fire in Kluang, Johor. The fire was believed to have been caused by candlelight. The family had to resort to candles after Tenaga Nasional Berhad, which announced record 3rd quarter profits recently, had cut the electricity supply to their home.
Kasmuri could not afford to pay his electricity bills and that caused him his so dearly.
This morning TNB issued a press statement to say that it had given sufficient notice to Kasmuri before disconnecting his electricity supply.
I am not blaming TNB for the tragedy. Nobody should blame the TNB for the deaths. But you get the feeling of great injustice all the same. Kasmuri was not a rich man. I can only hope that TNB would care for Kasmuri's other kids and find the heart to be more caring in future. A more understanding TNB may save lives.
Saturday, August 11, 2007
TNB washes hand of fire that kills 5
TTDI, 29 Nov: They are cutting the trees again in Taman Tun Dr Ismail, once one of the greenest housing estates in KL. Well, it probably ...
Amirudin is trying to silence (me) with the lawsuits - Razak Ismail, Green Party sec-gen Damansara, 30 July: I don’t quite understand why...
Wed, 5 April: Some Malaysians don’t think much of memoranda of understanding and that’s quite, er, understandable. For there was a time whe...